Thursday, April 17, 2003

i forgot to pack a lunch today so i was famished by the time 2 o'clock rolled around, especially having been awake since 7am. thus, i decided to treat myself to a scrumptious oatmeal raisin cookie from pat brown's grill to hold me over till dinner. i was thoroughly enjoying every bite when i thought to myself "gee, if i eat only half now and save the rest for later, i'll be able to have dessert along with my dinner." A two-for-one deal that any sensible person would find a bargain, of course. so, i stowed it away in my backpack just as the time came for me to be a guinea pig for a psych experiment in tolman. i completed the half-hour session and packed up my things to wait for my GSI's office hours to begin. you see, there's a phenomena i'm learning in developmental psych called inhibition of choice, which is a part of every child's process of gaining an adult level of self-control. when presented with the dilemma of having one cookie now versus 2 cookies, say, in one hour, young children cannot pass up short-term gratification for a long-term goal.

case in point: i have the self-control of a 5 year old... and i have no dessert.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?