Thursday, March 20, 2003

sigh, there was a time when i could have a fluent and thorough conversation with my mama in korean, but now i find english feeding off my speech limitations like a leech. apparently college has stripped me of more than my self-esteem... it went ahead and left me mute.

enlightening excerpt of the day
the philosopher H.P. Grice labeled the idea of cooperative principle, which is the conversational principle to make your contributions to conversation at the required time and for the accepted purpose of the talk exchange. He lists the following four maxims that must be honored if the cooperative principle is to operate effectively:

1. the maxim of quantity: speak neither more nor less than is required.
2. the maxim of quality: speak the truth and avoid falsehood.
3. the maxim of relevance: speak in a relevant and informative way.
4. the maxim of clarity: speak so as to avoid obscurity and ambiguity.

case in point: although i've lost a lot of my korean, i am still at an advantage to males who, i conclude, have the conversational conventions of a tree.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?